19th Century School House
Compulsory education for children did not become law in Maryland until 1902. Until then, a child’s education was left to the discretion and resources of the parents. In the mid 1800’s Sotterley’s Briscoe family operated a boarding school for girls, housed in the north Gatehouse. Furnished as it would have been at that time, desks and benches, slates, and quills show how the students learned the 3 R’s.